Wednesday, July 6, 2011

1984 by George Orwell

Summary: 1984 tells the dystopia of a world in constant war and controlled by a few, in which everyone's actions are being permanently surveilled by telescreens and having free time is looked upon with distrust. Nothing that requires too much thinking is considered acceptable at all. Individuality? There's no such thing. We see Winston Smith revealing against the so-called Big Brother in an attempt to find such individuality and the answers that have been restrained from him and everyone else. This work, overall, is a thorough explanation of the famous slogans WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, and IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH, repeated numerous times throughout the book's pages.

Opinion: I can't say I loved it, because there were some scenes I found too slow-paced, but it really moved me, and perhaps made me see things from a different perspective. Orwell's intentions in many of his works (I have only read Animal Farm besides this) are to make a satire out of events in real life, recurring to the irony and maybe sarcasm to make his point clear. Mainly because of this, I found myself feeling bad about myself and others while reading it but, however, I was able to see that there are people with enough intelligence to discern what is-and was-going on in the world
(both the character and author) and aren't misled by those with more power. I finally ended up having mixed feelings about whether I liked it as a whole or not, but the original approach and the beautiful outcome are something worth reading.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★

No comments:

Post a Comment